Sunday, February 13, 2011

Turnin' on the Texas Charm

Well, these past days have been eventful.

Went on a group trip to the Roman Amphitheatre here-simply beautiful and a good time with a lot of friends. Walked around downtown, bought and orange and a sketch pad and oil pastels, which made me very happy (acrylic is next on my list, but I didn't have the JD for it at the time).I sang Ave Maria (forgetting most of the words, but not the tune, which is all that's really important anyway) in the amphitheatre and oh my gosh was it loud and a lot of fun. Definitely going back.

Today was a usual day at school, impossible Arabic (still learning the alphabet, haha), lunch of a 50 piaster falafel sandwich, and then off to the gym. Never in my life have I had better motivation to work out than to be able to shower-it's great. A walk to the circle to grab a cab with 2 great gals and then the cab ride home, my best yet.

Note to all who come here: in a cab, turn on the Texas charm and then pretend you're married. Or not, if you're me and you have nothing better to do than chat with the cab driver whose English is surprisingly good. I proceed to have the usual conversation of "Arabic is so hard, ana taleebah (student), and I'm from Texas (whereupon the driver tells me about cowboy hats, chaps, boots, and western movies, saying he's seen tehm so her knows-as if I don't,...AAAdorable). Anyway, as I'm getting out of the cab and reaching for the 2 JD I owe on the adat (meter), he tells me to put it away and don't worry about it and call him if I need anything in Jordan (about the 20th time I've heard this). Needless to say, the most successful cab ride I've had yet! I didn't have to pay! WIN! That's four falafel sandwiches saved for the weeks lunches, mumtaz!!

Below are some photos, I have GOT to go study, my Arabic is not getting any better and I need to apply myself! I'm hoping this little public pep speech will help, but at the end of the night, who know, I need more notecards to write on so studying might be postponed for practical reasons, what a sad excuse I've already made- procrastination at its finest right here people. Must go! hope you enjoyed the lovely story. Also, for the record, the girls on this trip are great, and the guys. It's all mumtaz! Well, mostly. Today I came across the thought that for about 7/8 of my life here I'm basically back in 5th grade. No lie, that's exactly how it feels. Mostly I feel 21 when i'm at the gym, but that's really about it. I'm learning the alphabet and can barely speak to the majority of the population, I have a curfew, I'ma child to the culture, don't know what I'm doing half the time. It sucks and it's great because I need some serious lessons in chilling out and being more pliable. Still, 5th graders, imagine going back, just imagine.

Anyhow, enjoy the photos!

Sidney and Megan, some very awesome people

Ain't it pretty?

I don't know what these cubbie boxes were for but I'm in one and I am fairly certain that those columns have been restored on the top. I'd like to see how they decided on the design? Who is their archaeologist consult I wonder...

Me and Ginny discussing something I'm sure...

cafe post-amphitheatre with Megan and Biff and the rest of the gang. Great fun and delicious mutable eggplant and hummos. All in all, awesome day.
Love until next time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment