Sunday, February 6, 2011

Marhab-ten!

Two hello-s is better than one I guess!

So this morning started out with an odd taksee fiasco which I will relate in person to anyone who is just dying to know. We took a trip around Amman today and stopped off at the Temple of Hercules that was excavated here...(I think it was built by the Romans??) Anyway, it's the image on the banner of the blog so I got SUPER excited that we were there (mainly because when I made the blog banner I had no idea what the structure was, just that it popped up in a google image search of Amman and looked pretty). So here are some photos from our jaunt there featuring some of my new awesome friends in SIT.

Had our first classes today- mainly introduction to everything. Arabic so far is great- I'm surprised at how much I know just from being with my family for a weekend, it's pretty cool! Hopefully that will continue. Except today it took us about 30 minutes to cover the first letter of the 28 letter alphabet, this does not bode well...

Speaking of host family, food here is sooo delicious (zake!). Also tonight and last night I had a lovely dance party with my mom and sister in the family room. dancing here seems to be a usual group thing at the end of the day- I'm a fan. And it takes a lot more skill to dance here than in the US, I probably still look like a dunce but I'm trying!

We went to Istiklal Mall today and it was almost exactly like the Galleria at home except everything in Arabic and an abundance of second-hand smoke (bleh). Pretty fun but no Starbucks to sit at and people watch for hours. I'll need to look around for a cafe or something like it to hang out in and do homework, I feel like it's the only thing really missing. But I'm not sure if that's a "thing" here, you know? We'll see...

Hmm, I'm trying to think of random things to relate that I'm taking for granted everyone understands because I'm here and you're not. Taksees here are super cheap ($3 at most anywhere in the city, less usually. Ho hummmm, can't think of anything at the moment though I managed to sneak an orange into my shower from the kitchen, win! (on both the shower front and the orange). [my sister just sneezed and taught me 'saha' instead of bless you: this is more a reminder to me than to everyone reading, haha] Anyhow, enjoy the pictures, will update soon. Hopefully with something more meaningful than this randomness that's only vaguely interesting.

Also, excuse the make-up-lessness in the photos to follow. An unfortunate side-effect of too little mirror looking time and not enough reason to care. Maybe I'll care tomorrow, who knows!

Ginny, me, Sarah! <3

Sarah &Sarah (so many of us!)


Seriously, buildings every inch- I wasn't lying!!

Annie, Tim, Biff at a weird angle

A more normal picture, I think I prefer the first one ;)

Made it!! 

Haha, It's no longer the banner of my blog mes amis, I was actually there, beat that!

menfolk of SIT!



Sydney and Ginny!
Alrighty-roo, that's all for tonight, must go do homework and stop dancing, playing, blogging, and generally being a goof! Academics first in any country! Love to you all!

2 comments:

K. Sebek said...

Thoroughly enjoying the blog and the pictures! Thank you for taking time out of your busy, busy life to share with us! Also, for the record, you look beautiful in all of your pictures - No Make-up Necessary - EVER!

Miss you tons!

Sarah said...

I'm glad you like! It makes me happy because it's easier to keep up with everyone in one place, haha. I love you so much and miss you tons! I'll probably be in SA this summer working which means I am ACTUALLY going to visit you!!!! Yay! (and thank you, you're too sweet). I love you so so so much.

Post a Comment