Tuesday, February 1, 2011

So it Begins

Official first post from the Middle East!! Where to begin...

My flights were splendid. There's something very novel about being fed a vegetarian Indian meal on a foreign-made plane being piloted by lovely British people while on my way to Amman. There was also an adorable child that I played hide-and-go-seek with for the trip to Jordan that was infinitely fun. Object permanence is kind of boring when you think about it.

So we arrive late at night (later than our group was expecting to meet us at the airport) and I've assumed they've left. I think way to go me for writing down the hotel address so I can get a cab. Of course then I run into 3 other SIT students-perfect! 3 Sarah's and a Ginny. It seems no matter where I go, Sarah is simply the most popular name. I always wonder in these situations how other people differentiate me in their minds, it would be so interesting to know what defining characteristic I have that they seperate from the others...or maybe I just look a little different and that's how it's done. Oh well.

Shuttled from the airport to a hotel for three days where we will have an orientation until we meet our host-families on Thursday, I feel a little like I'm sneaking into the country and can't really tell where I am. I don't think I'll shake that feeling soon, until I start walking around with people and actually navigating the city without the large group. Needless to say, today has felt like a y-e-a-r. All we did was a day long orientation at our homebase about cultural things, phones, syllabi, blah blah blah but it felt so long.

Nearly everyone in the program has had at least a semester of Arabic before coming so I'm immediately behind, one of my most cherished feelings (sense the sarcasm?). I certainly hope I learn a lot, and fast, not understanding people who are speaking around me is driving me insane. At least I've got motivation on my side??

I have a feeling my meals from now until I leave will center around hummus. I have no problem with this whatsoever. Though I am currently mourning the lack of spinach in my life, chickpeas are a good substitute.

This morning I woke up to what I found out later to be the 5:30am Call to Prayer. At the time I was simply very perplexed as to why they were playing some pretty cool music so early in the morning and so loud, well done on your cultural/religious knowledge Sarah...not. Needless to say I'm currently hoping that was the first and last time it will wake me up.

In other news, I've never been so impressed with google. Seriously, type Amman into the image search and this is the fifth photo:
It looks exactly like that from my hotel window. Normally, I feel deceived by google but I'm thoroughly impressed. Seriously, everywhere you looks are these limestone buildings, it's pretty beautiful in it's own way.

((For the record, I sincerely apologize for the jumping around of this post both chronologically and conceptually, jet lag is a major downer and it's temporarily hindering whatever comedic timing I had and my ability to convey complex ideas))

I'm protesting staying in the hotel by refusing to unpack. Because I"ll just have to repack everything before I go off to my homestay anyway. Clothing will be repeated tomorrow and I recently (last night) discovered I forgot to pack conditioner (acv, lemon, acidic liquid anything) which meant last night I finished off the baking soda with an orange from the buffet downstairs. Good job packing right?? 

Anyhow, big news in Jordan:
King Abdullah II of Jordan announced a dismissal of his cabinet earlier today, February 1st. This move is a response to protests in Jordan over the past week, calling for the resignation of the country’s prime minister. The new prime minister and cabinet have been announced and tasked by the King to begin the process of political and economic reforms. The protests that have occurred were not directed at any US citizens or foreign visitors but have represented internal grievances of Jordanians.

Well done Jordanians on catching the revolution train, right? Sadly, this means Egypt trip has been canceled because being safe there would be impossible now. Oh well, everyone here is pretty excited about everything saying that a revolution by these standards has needed to happen for a while so I can't be too upset. 

I think I've caught things pretty much up to date.... I'll try and furnish things with pictures soon because words are pretty boring. If you are not my parent you should probably stop reading now because the following will be very boring/not applicable to you or your concerns...or maybe it is:

-->Let me paint an Amman picture for you because none of us knew at all what it would be like and I don't want you guys to be freaking out. I am not in the middle of nowhere, there's a Papa John's and a Burger King (neither of which I ever plan to visit). I saw an H&H supermarket today with a giant redbull thing in front of it. Every single piece of Arabic script has English underneath it. The driving is insane, I'm currently terrified of crossing the street. I think I'm going to like the Badia homestay a LOT, big cities never were my favorite place...but maybe it's just because I'm not comfortable here yet. Houston homesickness strikes for the first time I guess. We have TONS of schoolwork to pack into 3 and 1/2 tiiiny months which is frightening. Classes from 9-5 on Sunday-Thursday with Friday and Saturday off. And people in my program are pretty awesome (despite being super-geniuses). I spoke with one girl today about the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and all felt right with the world. Alas, do not fear! or remind me not too, and often! Also, I may want to travel to Greece or something before I come home. I just feel like I'm too close to too many places not to, you know. 

Okay, the rest of the world can begin reading again. Although I think I've run out of things to say other than I miss Trinity, wish I could be freaking out about Dr. Mathews' Primatology class instead of not knowing any Arabic, and can't believe I'm missing Bid Day. But I am indeed excited to meet my family, get out into the city, hang out with everybody, and start learning a really beautiful language. And unpack my bags...and just generally get going and started with classes and everything. Until tomorrow (but more likely until I get all set in my new house)! Love to everyone.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

qwurstion

dont you condition your hair with a base

<3

Sarah said...

a base? what do you mean? I've been baking soda and ACV and some lavender oil and nothing else for a while now. :)

Emily said...

haha you would avoid the burger king and papa johns. I'm so glad youre safe and loving it!!

-Em

Post a Comment