Monday, February 21, 2011

Secret Dates and Forbidden Love

If you've read any of my friends posts, then you'll know this observation is a long time coming. This show, Forbidden Love in Jordan is infinitely popular. As I write this, we are watching the newest episode. My comprehension is severely limited by my complete lack of Arabic skillz. Alas, from what I can gather, it's highly captivating and maybe slightly on the cheesy side. And by slightly I definitely mean extremely. Anyhow, it's all about this guy who is the son of an older man who married this young girl who the son is in love with.  There's something going on with the family distracting the son and trying to make him love someone else, but who knows really. Drama drama drama. The theme song is also that epic tune from Requiem for a Dream...sort of. So the association my mind makes with the show is very odd indeed.

The point of this post is that men of America should beware. Not only do I intend to return to the states with a more affirmed idea of my own awesome feminist ways but I will also have higher expectations concerning that old fashioned thing we called courting. It seems like a throwback but from what I know so far (which is just about nothing) is that the Bedouin people here and some more urbanite Arabs have a way better idea of what a date is than guys in the U.S. Today while discussing my ISP topic with my advisor here, Dr. Raed walked in and we broached the topic with him. It's dating by the way if you didn't know. My plan thus far is to look into what Amman girls my age think about dating and how it relates to Islam, their views of the 'West', and a whole bunch of other things I haven't solidified very well yet (I'll post my research question here when it's all pretty and prepared to see the light of day). Anyhow, Dr. Raed told me and Megan about this Bedouin practice called Taleela (spelling probably incorrect) which, from what I understood, is some secret dating practice among the men and women where they, get this: actually get to know each other and the man asks the women on these secret rendezvous. To quote Megan's glorious blog, "Quick! Everyone reading this take a breath and don’t jump to conclusions about this rendezvous. This would be in the purest sense a meeting! You would get with that guy who makes your heart race and talk in the moonlight. Also it would be your secret. How romantic is that? How much better than getting a 10 word text?" It's all very Romeo and Juliet to me. The point is that it's not a given that if the girl says yes once she will say yes again. The guy must consistently impress the girl. I approve this. I wonder what girl would not....

Neddless to say, I feel like we may have lost some of this... I don't even think there's a word for what I'm trying to say here...ummm... lost some of this...enchantment with the whole process of dating. Or maybe it's just me actually. Now that I'm thinking about it that may actually be the case. Nevertheless, on our Badia adventure to occur soon, I fully anticipate to discuss this with my sisters and figure out what's going out out there. And I fully intend to return later on in the program. I'm so excited to get out of the city. Don't get me wrong, I love Amman but I miss the always available option in Texas to disappear into the country and go phoneless and unplugged and just generally not be constantly available to everyone on my Facebook friends list. I resent the 21st century. And adore it. Grass is always greener, right? Until you get to the other side and you realize sanitation sucked in the 16th century and you die of some very negligible thing. It's unfortunate that corsets went out of style. As a feminist it's very contradictory that I like this supposedly oppressive form of dress, I know, but they're sexy, you have to admit it. Now they're relegated to Halloween, Masquerade Balls (which we should have more of), or Rocky Horror.

Wow, I have veered totally off topic....did I even have one to begin with? Mmmm, debatable.

Back to the point (or total lack of one to this post)

--> Badia? I'm pumped
--> Dating? ISP topic
--> Libya (and everyone else protesting)? Props, just keep it peaceful friends.
--> Secret Dating Rendezvous and forbidden love? Yes Please.

I suppose I should talk about Salt, my most recent excursion. First of all, Salt is Tuscany like Amman is Paris. And by that I mean, it's slower paced, more beautiful, and generally just more chill. It was splendid to visit. Much fun was had though I failed for one more day on my eternal hunt for avocados (with which to make guacamole). We visited Jordan's first school, an archaeology museum (NAM!), a co-op of female handicrafters where I met my first feminist in Jordan (love her!), a square where some sassy old men play a very strange and incomprehensible version of mancala, and a cafe where there was a complete lack of hummous but an overabundance of laughter and poorly translated American food. Overall? Success!

Anyhow, I am severely behind in some of my studies and by that I mean I have GOT to go memorize some Arabic and move beyond the phrases: Mumtaz (excellent), zaki (delicious), and food vocabulary (because let's face it, more applicable vocab is always memorized first and food is very important....especially hummous).

On a different note, Megan and I recently discovered, just because hummous is made in a can does not mean it should be eaten. Ever. (see photos below for explanation)

Also- just stumbled on this gem that's semi-related to this post. And here it goes. I am reposting a facebook post of a friend that was originally posted by her friend: Where Have the Good Men Gone?
See what I mean? The internet is both frightening and awesome.

Another aside- when I get back to the U.S. I will be a senior. This realization is terrifying. I don't want to talk about it.

Salt (or, in my opinion, Amman version 2.0!)

We tried to fix is with zait and za3tar but it could not be salvaged. Megan looks on disapprovingly.


I'm about to share something fascinating with you. Honey. This honey was packed in Hong Kong, imported by some Jordanian (?) company, and originated from good ol' Australian honey bees. (see below)...




And it's all translated into Arabic. And was bought by a Texan visiting the lovely Hashemite Kingdom. Globalization makes me giggle sometimes, and fascinates me.

Apologies for the utter randomness of this post. Enjoy your day lovely readers!

0 comments:

Post a Comment