Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Conceptual Emergen-C

Tonight, post-gym time, I washed my hair with Emergen-C and washed myself with biodegradable mountain climber laundry wash. Why you ask? Megan borrowed my baking soda and vinegar (convert, woot!) for herself and neglected to return it in the stress of our lives that is ISP period. Not a problem. I am a Macgyver of shower time. Magical, I tell you, I am magical. Don't even try to deny it. I could count this as an all-time low in my shower stats (which you readers might do) but I'm definitely counting it as an all time high of awesome inventiveness.

Well now that that's over with, what else have I done of significance recently you ask? It feels like nothing, I'm almost certain it's something. I've read most of my sources for my research, crafted my survey and sent it off to be translated, obtained an advisor (thanks Megan) and set up a meeting with her class to hold focus groups, written up most of my interview questions, and walked outside alone for the first time since Petra (which I'm counting as an accomplishment, so there). Look, I got my blogger sass back! wonderful.

Meanwhile Megan has conducted 2 interviews already and I'm attempting not to let it get to me that she's ahead in her research. It's not really working. I hate feeling behind. But I was singing some High School Musical today in order to abate the stress. This worked slightly.

I've also officially subverted the system of my household's habits and accomplished being a vegetarian again for 5 days now. BAHAHAHAHAHA.

Other than this I lack anything significant to blog and probably will for a while as ISP period almost precludes the running around and being ridiculous that leads to good blog posts. So forgive me if I lapse into silence or lack anything substantial to report. it's not for lack of love.

I think today I've decided that mumkin Jordan has made me more of a feminist than I was before. If this is possible. I don't know really. I suppose I'm still trying to categorize, contemplate, and communicate (what lovely alliteration, I know) what happened. I simply refuse to leave this country hating a whole group of people simply because I've run into a lot that happen to be idiots. But then I was thinking today: really, I gave these guys (and I do mean guys) a good 2 months of relativist love before that was splattered to the wind and I was forced to decide how I actually felt about everything. And in the end, all I really see is a whole bunch of sexist guys and girls who for some reason put up with it. I don't know, I don't want to be mean but I can't just look around and not pass some sort of judgement on something that I personally (not anthropologically...maybe... that whole relativism problem was never solved really) find disgusting. I mean, what kind of place is it where girls can't walk down the street without getting cat called and jibes thrown at them? As it is, tonight, my first foray back into the world of independence left me having to ignore about 3 guys at different times yelling my way as I walked to the gym.
And it's equally as odd to me why their women friends who are with them when they do this don't say something about it. Don't they realize that at one point in time, that's them too?? I just don't understand. And I don't want to judge/don't feel like I can/but if I can't, how can I acknowledge my own feelings about it ever?

Dear readers,
I'm just too confused. And don't want to sound mean but can no longer control how I feel and also feel like I've given things a fair chance. But have I? Probably not. And am I mean? Maybe a bit.
Things have only gotten more confusing. And here I was, hoping for a nice denouement to the program where I tied up all of the loose ends of misunderstanding and left happy and satisfied and with no unanswered questions. (typing that out and realizing that I thought it might actually be possible just makes me laugh at how ridiculously naive I sound). And we're back to the very beginning aren't we?

Well wasn't that a productive little thought train. Not. But I suppose thinking about it and trying to figure it out is better than not doing anything at all. Oh well. I give up for tonight, that's certain.

Love to you all. Have a green tea and think of me and I'll have some coffee with honey tomorrow and think of you. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment