Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Are you done with me yet Jordan?

What to even blog about, I just don't know. I was planning on blogging about my trip to Jerash/Heaven with some friends. I was going to blog about almost being home. I was intending on blogging about my final presentation of my ISP. Alas, none of this will be blogged about, at least not right now. Why is that? Because I got sick. I KNOW. If you know me well enough at all, you know that I do not get sick, I simply am temporarily disappointed in my immune system and refuse to acknowledge said weakness. Here is my story...

It was the night of mother's day and I was fine, perfectly happy, in fact because i had just been on a trip to the most beautiful place in the world and was just feeling pretty great. Until I wasn't. Being sick in America sucks, being sick in Jordan, sucks even more.

My host family posited that it was because I kick the covers off of me at night (wrong, in fact, I just hate heavy comforters). In fact, I had amoeba eggs.
Here's the best part. I HATE absolutely ABHOR taking medicine. Much less antibiotics/antiparasitics/whatever the heck I got prescribed (metronidazole, if you're curious). And dear doctor, thanks for checking me out and stuff, but maybe next time you could NOT be smoking while I'm in the office telling you I haven't eaten in 24 hours and I'm miserable.

Also, I realized on this night of terror and unfortunate things that the only person you will EVER want to be around when you're sick is your mother. I mean really. Throwing up sucks no matter where or who you're with but I just want my mom dammit.

This brings me to my main point tonight.

Dear Jordan,
You're great and all, I've tried really hard to be pretty positive in this country/might have at least succeeded a little in that endeavor but really, can we be done yet? I mean really, I think I've had enough. You killed my apple tree I planted in the garden outside of school, sexual assault, 2am police statements, creepy courtroom, amoebas, antibiotics, utter failure at learning arabic, ISP anthropology fail (not nearly as good as I wanted it to be/ugh), smoke filled indoor areas, and far more tragic things I'm forgetting about now because of my memory or self-preservation, we'll never know. I know you mean well and everything and that I'm personifying an entire country here and being pretty anthropologically unfair, but really, can we be done?
I've had a lot of good experiences here, I know, I'm not trying to be mean or anything and I think I'm still happy I came here. Of course, had I not, there would be no metronidazole in my body right now, nor would there be a copy of my passport and statement in a courtroom somewhere in downtown Amman. Really, I'm just being whiny right now. But honestly, after everything, I thought it couldn't get worse and now I'm sick, can barely stand up without feeling weak, and just want to come home. I want my mom to make me vegetable soup and to take a shower in my shower and sleep in my bed and not take weird medicine (I HATE MEDICINE) and not have amoeba eggs (I mean, really, what the hell?)
Yeah, that's about all I have left to say on the topic.
With as much love as I have left in me,
Sarah.

Anyway, that's my tragically short, not really informative update of today/this is really just getting funny it's so ridiculous.

love you all. Hopefully, I'll come back in one piece, at this rate, I just am not so certain anymore that that's a feasible possibility. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment