Sunday, January 2, 2011

Victory!

The moment the formatting is just the way you want it is such a blissful thing. For me though this was instead the moment where I had given up trying to make this blog look perfectly perfect because:

1) I have better things to do, and, even though this may not be true at the moment and it really translates to watching an episode of Psych, I like to pretend I have something exceedingly important and pressing to do... like reading those required books. woops.
2) I don't feel like fussing with the HTML anymore. My days of Myspace are long behind me so formatting in code, a little like my french skills, has faded into the recesses of my memory.
3) You, out there, yes- you, are either a parent, friend, or really random internet searcher whom I will never meet and for that audience I just don't feel perfection is important, you like me despite messy blogs, right! (Though I can't speak to the random internet searchers out there)
4) I really should be reading that book...

Ahhh, okedokee, let's settle in shall we? So I have a month until departure, 2 books to read and a paper to write prior to said departure, and major packing that needs to be done. I may or may not have jumped on this blog train a little too early. Oh well, who says you can't talk about something before you've done it, preparation counts right? Don't worry, I won't bore you all with the banality of packing. This will probably be my first and only post before I leave (even as I write that I know I'm lying...there will undoubtedly be a 'holy-crap-i-leave-tomorrow' post the night before take off).

Why, Sarah, in all of the possible places you could have gone are you going to Amman you might ask. Well, the long-and-short of it is that it was a run-off between China and Jordan (both cultural anthropology programs). I really, really, really want to go to China someday. Knowing this, the obvious choice was Jordan! Because of my fervency in someday visiting China, I know that someday, no matter what, I will indeed find myself there. I, however, could never imagine myself just randomly deciding to go to Jordan. So it was settled, I would go to a place I knew I would never travel to for fun and learn Arabic in an intensive language course (which I will be fluent in someday! Sorry french...).

Thinking about it post-decision and program acceptance I'm actually really happy about the random choice I've made. More happy than I would have been in China I think. Of course, according to popular psychological theory, human beings have a tendency to rationalize any choice, good or bad, into seeming like the best possible choice as a sort of self-preservation thing. So that sort of blows it out of the water... but I don't care! Can't wait- end of story.

Alrighty-roo, that is all for now! You'll hear from me again when I've entered the zone of 'oh my god my flight is a week from now'.

PS-get used to the copious amounts of commas, I never really learned how to properly use them and I'm a run-on sentence fiend, so- love the commas.

-Sarah

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm dreading your departure but excited to read your updates! Lots and lots of pictures, please :) I love the site! Wonderful template haha.

Love love
Kendrus

Post a Comment